Total time: 35 mins
Easy and tasty Mongolian Chicken Recipe
You may have heard about Mongolian beef and have tried as well. But not everyone is fond of beef as in our house. So we have to try the recipes with chicken and omit beef and mutton at times. I have tried many recipes to cook Mongolian Chicken and finally settled with the Mongolian Chicken recipe that I am sharing here. Mongolian Chicken is salty, spicy and crispy at the same time. Mongolian Chicken recipe is simply delicious and worth trying.
You can also check few more chicken recipe;
- Chicken Shashlik recipe
- Stir-Fry Chicken
- Chicken Vindaloo
- Szechuan Chicken
- Chicken Teriyaki
- Hot and Spicy Chicken
- Chicken Mugalgal
- Fajita Chicken
- Chicken Nihari with Potatoes
- Handi with Chicken
- 2 medium size chicken breast (cut into cubes or strips)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil, for cooking
- 1/2 cup oil to fry breast pieces
- ½ cup cornstarch ( keep aside 1 and ½ tablespoon of cornstarch to make a paste with one tablespoon of water. Rest is to coat the breast cubes)
- 2-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon Spring onion, cut into small slices, keep green and white part separate
- 1 tablespoon ginger (cut into thin strips)
- 3-5 chilies (red or green (dried or fresh) optional. I am always alternating to try different tastes)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup chicken stock (you can use chicken cube from the market and then add ½ cup of hot boiling water)
- pinch of sesame seed (to garnish, optional)
- Wash your hands and then take a large bowl and add chicken breast cubes and drizzle a tablespoon of oil on chicken cubes. Mix the cubes with hands to coat the oil on all pieces evenly.
- Take another bowl and add dry cornstarch to it. Now add the chicken cubes coated with oil in cornstarch and with your hands lightly coat all the chicken pieces with cornstarch.
- Take a deep frying pan on high flame add the oil. Once the oil is hot add the chicken pieces coated with cornstarch in oil and fry from all sides until chicken is crispy and cooked.
- Dish out the fried chicken pieces on a plate and set aside.
- Take a pan or remove the oil from the same pan or wok. Add 2 tablespoon of oil for cooking and let it get warm.
- Once the oil is hot add the julienned ginger and by the continuous stirring cook for 20 seconds.
- Now add your chilies, garlic and white part of the spring onions.
- Stir fry for few seconds when you feel nice fragrance or onion will be translucent.
- Now add chili sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, and chicken stock (or chicken cube with hot water). Stir and cook the sauce until simmer.
- Keep stirring and cooking until the brown sugar will dissolve completely and will disappear.
- You can see nice golden brown sauce, cook for a minute and then add cornstarch-water mixture with continuous stirring so the lumps will not appear.
- Cook the sauce until thickened.
- Now add the fried crusty pieces of chicken in sauce and stir to mix and cook for 1 minute on low heat.
- Sprinkle green part of spring onion and stir for 8 seconds so the onions will be coated with the sauce.
- The mixture or sauce should not be flowing or watery, it must coat all the ingredients.
- If the sauce is watery then add more cornstarch.
Your Mongolian Chicken is ready. Enjoy with bread or boiled rice.