Rice with Brown sugar (Gur waly chawal)
Just with little change in the ingredients, you can change the taste. Today we will learn how to make Rice with Brown sugar (Gur waly chawal). Rice with Brown sugar (Gur waly chawal) are eaten as dessert in Indo-Pak continent. There are necessary especially during winter but you can make any time.
You can also try; vegetable rice, egg fried rice, Pea’s pilaf, chickpeas rice. If you want to give some natural color to rice then you can try Green Rice recipe. If you are fond of citrus rice then try Lemon Rice recipe.
Ingredient Rice with Brown sugar (Gur waly chawal):
- ½ kg or 500g Rice (basmati long grain, but you can use any rice)
- ½ cup or 250g ghee (butter or any vegetable oil can be used)
- 2 cups or 500g Brown sugar (if you need less sweet you can change as per your taste)
- ½-teaspoon Cardamom powder
- A handful of raisins and any nuts you like (pistachio, almond, nuts cashew etc)
- 1 kg or 1000ml (4 cups) water
- Pinch of Sugar
- 1 teaspoon white Vinegar
Directions Gur waly chawal:
- Wash and soak the rice in normal water as per package directions.
- On a medium heat place a pot, add ghee, and then add cardamom powder and stir for 2-3 seconds, when you feel aroma, add brown sugar. Do not burn or overcook cardamom powder.
- Give it a quick stir, add water, and let it boil by covering the lid. It will take less time.
- Once the water will start boiling, add raisins, rinse the rice, drain water from rice and add in boiling water. Give it a quick mix with a spoon or knife. Do not over mix as it will break the rice.
- Cook on high flame uncovered until all the rice will rise up to water level and you can see little water on top. Add your nuts.((almost 80% water should evaporate)
- Turn heat to the lowest level. Cover the rice with the lid and let it cook for 15- 20 minutes, depends on the type and quality of rice, you are using.
- Check occasionally, if the rice or done. You can always tap the rice with a cooking spoon, if you hear the clear sound it means rice is done if there is not sound you must know there is still water inside the rice.
- Once done, dish them out, hot, sprinkle some more nuts and enjoy you Rice with sugar (gur waly chawal).