Green Rice Recipe
I am all the time experimenting with the ingredients to get different color and taste in rice. Rice is must daily in my house either during the day or in the evening. Today I tried a different combination of rice and was amazed with the color and taste of this green rice recipe. The best thing about the green rice recipe is all the ingredients can easily be found in the market. You can develop the green color in this green rice recipe with spinach or mint or fresh parsley or fresh coriander leaves. You can also try the combination of different greens in this green rice recipe keeping your taste in mind. Let us have a look at the ingredients of the green rice recipe.
Ingredients green rice recipe
- The handful of baby spinach leaves (wash and chop them nicely)
- 2 – 3tablespoon of fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon of chopped mint leaves
- 3-5 bay leaves dried
- 1 and ½ cups of soaked rice
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 1 medium-sized tomato ( de-seed and chop it)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-inch piece of ginger
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 green chilies
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 3-6 heads of cloves
- ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 tablespoon of oil or butter to cook
- Water as required
Directions green rice recipe
- In a blender add spinach, coriander leaves, mint leaves, ginger, green chilies, and lemon juice and 3-4 tablespoon of water and blend to make a smooth paste. Set aside
- Place a wok over medium heat and add oil, once warm add bay leaves and let cracker, add onion and cook until light brown. Then add garlic and sauté until aromatic.
- Add tomatoes and cook until the gravy will form and then add salt and black pepper.
- Now add peas, sprinkle sugar and then cook for 2 minutes, add green paste and cook until everything will mix well.
- Pour required amount of water and let it boil on high flame. Once the water will start boiling drain and rinse the rice properly and then add rice in boiling water and sprinkle cumin.
- Let the rice boil on high flame uncovered until most of the water will evaporate and rice will also swell and rise up.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest level of your stove and let the rice simmer and cook for about 12- 20 minutes depending on the quality of rice you are using.
- After required time remove the lid and check if the rice is done, if not then continue to simmer for few more minutes, if done dish out and serve with fried fish or shish chicken kebab or reshmi chicken kebabs and yogurt or green chutney. Garnish with any salad you like.
Try and enjoy this easy green rice recipe. I hope you will like it and share with your friends as well.
Vegetable or chicken broth can also be used instead of water.