Potato cutlet recipe
Today in this post, I am going to show you a unique and tasty type of Potato cutlet recipe. This Potato cutlet recipe not only has potatoes but also the semolina flour in it. I shallow fry Potato cutlet recipe. I think that cutlet is another form of pancake. Therefore, this is semolina potato pancake too. You can also check few more recipes of pancakes on my site like ; simple potato pancakes.
Ingredients Potato cutlet recipe
- ½-cup semolina flour
- 1-cup water
- ½ teaspoon of salt to taste
- ¼-teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium sized potatoes ( boiled, peeled and grated)
- Pinch of cumin seeds
- ½ medium-sized onion finely chopped
- ¼ tomato; deseeded and finely chopped, (it should make 1 and ½-tablespoon only)
- Paprika to taste (optional, I did not use it, if you like spicy food then add, otherwise omit)
- 1 medium size green chili (deseeded and finely chopped)
- ½ -tablespoon oil.
- ¼-teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon of finely chopped coriander
- 2-3 fresh mint leaves chopped (parsley or dill or rosemary can also be added for some aroma)
- 5-tablespoon oil for frying
Non-stick frying pan or skillet for cooking Potato cutlet recipe
Directions Potato cutlet recipe
- Pour water in a pan over medium heat and let it boil then sprinkle salt and add oil.
- Once the water will start boiling, turn heat to lowest level and add semolina flour and with a wooden spoon mix quickly so no lumps form (if some lumps form in the beginning do not worry once you will mix, they will disappear).
- Continue mixing until the semolina flour will soak all water.
- Close the fire, cover the semolina for 10 minutes and leave aside.
Potato cutlet recipe preparation:
- Take a bowl, add grated potatoes in it, and sprinkle all spices; black pepper, cumin and drizzle lemon juice and top with green chilies, coriander, mint and chopped onions, tomatoes (better puréed).
- Mix very well. Now check if the semolina flour is cold then add soaked semolina in the potatoes mixture and start kneading the mixture, until you will have nice and smooth dough like texture.
- Oil your palm a little and make a ball shape, then press the ball between your palms and then make a tire type shape. Please check the picture. You can roll the disc on a smooth surface to smooth the edges, if you want to have a great look otherwise just do with hands and set the Potato cutlet in a place. Continue with whole batter and make the circular discs.
- After finishing with whole batter, place a nonstick pan on medium heat, grease it with a tablespoon of oil, and add 2-3 Potato cutlet at one time. Depends on the size of your pan.
- It will take 2-3 minutes for one side to be done. Once cooked nicely caramelized, turn it to the other side. Once both sides have nice color you can also press with wooden spoon slowly to let any water evaporate from inside too. It will take 5-6 minutes to cook on low heat completely.
When the entire Potato cutlet will be ready, enjoy them warm with any dip of your choice with a hot cup of coffee.
You can add ginger garlic paste, and other chopped vegetables too like; cabbage, peas, bell peppers, carrots. This was first time I was making Potato cutlet recipe with semolina so I try to keep least amount of vegetables.