Sweet potato pudding recipe
In Urdu, you can say Shakarkandi Kheer
All of us are familiar with sweet potatoes and use them all the time but today I thought to cook a pudding using sweet potatoes. If you want to cook the dessert (Kheer, pudding) quickly with less amount of milk, use one-liter milk with two tablespoons of cornstarch or semolina flour or rice flour (soak flour with a cup of milk until u will use).
You can also boil sweet potatoes and mash them and then use it in Sweet potato pudding recipe; it will save some time but depends on your choice. Check the attached picture to see the consistency of the milk. This lovely Sweet potato pudding recipe is shared with me with a close friend Saima Chatta. Her cooking is amazing and I appreciate her for letting me share this recipe with all of you.
Ingredients Sweet potato pudding recipe
- 4 liters milk
- 5 cardamom pods, bashed to expose seeds
- 1 cup crushed nuts of your choice Almond/walnut/ cashew/ pistachio/ coconut
- 250ml condensed milk
- Keep handful crushed nuts save for garnishing.
- Few strand of saffron (soak in three tablespoons of milk and set aside)
- Sugar to taste
- Pinch of salt
- 1 kg sweet potato peeled and sliced
Directions Sweet potato pudding recipe
- In a large nonstick heavy base pot, add one kg of milk, cardamom pods and let it cook by stirring occasionally.
- When the quantity will reduce to half add one more kg and let it cook until half of the quality.
- Then add the third liter of milk and let it cook on high flame first then on low flame for 15 minutes.
- Add all nuts and sweet potatoes to the boiling milk.
- Stir occasionally, no need to worry about sticking of sweet potatoes, as they will float on the surface until cooked, stirring occasionally will do good. No need to over stir and (mash) break the slices of sweet potatoes.
- When the milk quantity will reduce add the fourth liter of the milk and let it cook.
- Turn flame on high when u will add milk, once milk will start boiling then reduce to medium-low flame.
- Let cook until you will get a required thickness of the milk.
- Add condensed milk and cook for a couple of minutes by continuously stirring it.
- Grab the soaked saffron bowl and add the boiling milk, it will develop nice pale orange color after boiling for some time.
- Once you get desired consistency and quantity of the sweet potato pudding remove from flame, let it cool, transfer to any bowl or dish and refrigerate overnight and use next day for the best taste.
- You can also use sweet potato pudding same day after chilling it in the refrigerator for few hours.
- Before serving top with more crushed or chopped nuts and serve chilled.
- You can also serve it hot.
Enjoy yummy sweet potatoes sweet dessert or shakarkandi Ke Kheer.