How to Cook Black Eyed Peas Fast
Black Eyed Beans in Tomato gravy
If you are searching for How to Cook Black Eyed Peas Fast or How to Cook Black Eyed Beans then you have finally reached the right place. First I would like to talk about;
Black Eyed Peas Nutrition Facts;
Black Eyed Peas or Black Eyed Beans are high in protein and fiber. If you get the canned Black Eyed Beans from the market, drain and rinse properly as a lot of salt is added to the liquid to preserve the Black Eyed Beans. You will be surprised that that have zinc, copper, magnesium, phosphorus in them. One cup has 13g of protein, 36g of carbohydrates and 200 calories along with 11g fiber and much more. To find the nutritious facts in detail please visit this.
To read about the health benefits of black-eyed peas please check here.
If you are thinking;
“Are Black Eyed Peas Paleo?”
You will be surprised to know that black-eyed peas aren’t peas but close to beans. Black-eyed beans are the member of the legume family. As these are beans so not Paleo at all.
There are many ways for Black Eyed Peas Food Recipes or Black Eyed Beans Recipe or Black Eyed Peas Recipe;
- Black Eyed Peas Soup
- Black-eyed beans fritters
- Black Eyed Peas Salad
- Black-Eyed Peas Recipes Vegetarian or Vegetarian Black Eyed Peas Recipe
- Black Eyed Peas Recipe Indian
There are many ways How to Cook Black Eyed Peas Fast, you can make Black Eyed Peas Salad, depending on your choice if you want to give it a sweet flavor or salts.
If you have leftover boiled black eyed beans you can always toss any leftover salad in them. To add some extra flavors try to add few fruits of your choice like apples, oranges kiwi, bananas, and grapes. If you want the salad to be sweet add some honey or dates to have natural sweetener. Add a small amount of salt, a touch of maple syrup and some kind of oil. If you want a savory taste then you can try this black-eyed beans salad or Black Eyed Peas Salad. In black eyed beans salad by adding a dash of liquid smoke and desired amount of smoked paprika to the beans and greens will give you a healthy and a low in the fat salad that will be also vegetarian.
Tips for the selection of Black-eyed beans for food;
- Blacked eyed beans in dried form have more health benefits than the canned one.
- If you want to go for the canned Blacked eyed beans recipes always try to drain the liquid from the can to get rid of extra salt content or simply buy with no added salt.
- While buying dry Blacked eyed beans then always go for the ones with nice and smooth skin with no wrinkles with shiny skin the taste will be best.
Vegan Black-eyed beans recipes;
If you want to know How to Cook Black Eyed Peas Fast vegan way? You can crock pot black eyed beans. Simply chop a medium sized onion, handful of mushrooms, few cloves of garlic, and some vegan spices. Add vegan butter and make caramelized onions and garlic then add salt and peppers as per your taste. If you want to go for smoky taste add smoked paprika it is a great way to get that smoky taste. Cook for sometime after making black eyed beans tender add Vegetarian broth to have a soupy texture if you like otherwise keep them dry. Mushrooms are a good replacement for meat. I am sure black-eyed peas will be your new love in a new day.
Black Eyed Peas Recipe Indian
Lobia or Black Eyed Peas Recipe is cooked in almost every house especially in India and Pakistan with different styles, depending upon the taste. I also cook Black Eyed Peas Indian recipe in many ways. This recipe is very simple yet delicious. This Black Eyed Peas Recipe Indian recipe is one of my all-time favorite Lobia recipe which I cook normally once a month.
You can always get variation in the taste of routine curries or snacks or day to day meal items and try different taste and flavors just by adding or removing few ingredients like vegetables, meat, mushrooms or spices.
Let me share here how to cook Black Eyed Peas fast Recipe Indian style. I am using dried black-eyed beans so first, we have to see;
How do I cook black eyed beans?
There are different ways to cook.
- The easiest is to use a pressure cooker but if you do not have it then wash the dried beans couple of times. Then add the beans to a large pot. I am using one cup of black-eyed beans so I poured 5 cups of water and covered the beans completely with water. I placed the pot on high heat and let it boil for few minutes 3-4. Then I turned off the flame, covered the pot and let it stand at room temperature for 1 and ½ hour to 2 hours. Then I drain and replaced the water with fresh water and then boiled on low heat for almost 20 minutes. Cooking time depends on the size of the beans. The bends were tender and then I continued with the rest.
- You can also soak in cold water overnight, then drain water and cook in fresh water; it will take 12-20 minutes.
- If you are using a pressure cooker than cook for 7-10 minutes depending open height from sea level and external temperature. See the notes.
Ingredients How to Cook Black Eyed Peas Fast:
- 1 medium-sized finely chopped onion
- 2 medium sized chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup tender black eyed beans (lobia/sukhi chawli)
- 3 cups Broth of the beans
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 leveled teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder (optional)
- Pinch of mustard seeds (optional)
- Green coriander to garnish
- Red chili to garnish
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 tablespoon oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ tablespoon garam masala powder
- You can use green chilies, mint leaves, julienned ginger to garnish.
Directions How to Cook Black Eyed Peas Fast:
Let us start the recipe.
- Heat up oil in a kadai or wok over medium-high flame, add mustard seeds and let it crackle add chopped green chili and then garlic paste, sauté for few seconds until the garlic is aromatic.
- Remove the garlic mixture from the wok on a plate and set aside.
- In the remaining oil add onions and stir and cook until caramelized. Add chopped tomatoes and then the seasoning like salt and red chili powder or black pepper that you prefer. I have only used black pepper powder as my kids cannot heat hot food.
- Stir and cook until the tomatoes dissolve and are mushy and oil will shine on top and will be separated.
- Add boiled black eyed beans, stir and cook for about 4 minutes or until you can see the traces of oil in the gravy.
- Pour broth of beans and little more water 3-5 cups in all depending on how much liquid you desire or how much you want soup in the curry. Let the water boil and then reduce the flame to low, cover the wok with a lid. More water can be added if required.
- After five minutes remove the lid and add garam masala powder (all spice powder), lemon juice and sugar. Add the garlic mixture that you have removed in a plate, give it a quick mix.
- Cover with a lid and let it simmer until you get desired amount of soup or consistency of the curry.
- Switch off the flame then garnish black eyed beans recipe with Chopped coriander leaves.
- You can serve this delicious black eyed bean curry with naan, or paratha or steams or garlic Rice and salad. So you have seen How to Cook Black Eyed Peas Fast, now enjoy it.
Notes Black eyed beans Recipe:
- Briefly stir-fry black eyed beans with lots of garlic and a dash of soy sauce in How to Cook Black Eyed Peas Fast recipe and have extra flavor.
- You can have black-eyed beans recipes with tofu or anything like that or you can try quinoa.
- How to Cook Black Eyed Peas Fast? The best way is to cook in pressure cooker. If you are planning to cook black eyed beans recipe in a pressure cooker than you can skip the step of cooking beforehand. Just prepare the tempering, add the beans roast, add water and then close pressure cooker and let it cook for 10-12 minutes.
- 4-5 bay leaves can also be added in oil.
- 3-6 heads of cloves can be used too.
- If you add salt and chili while boiling black-eyed beans recipe then add less amount in gravy.
- If you want to discard the water in which you boiled beans you can. There is no harm in using it, it will give more taste to the dish.
- To make black-eyed beans soup recipe just blend the final result of above recipe and enjoy soup. You can sprinkle some cumin seeds and drizzle some extra amount of lemon juice. Add carrots or celery too while boiling if you like.
- You can eat black-eyed beans recipe for lunch or dinner.