Homemade Semolina Dessert Recipe (Suji ka Halva)
Few Arabic friends of mine today were asking about some Pakistani desserts. They especially asked if we have any Semolina Dessert Recipe. As Semolina Dessert is very famous in Middle Eastern Countries and there are so many ways Semolina Desserts are prepared. Semolina Dessert recipe also called Halva or Suji ka Halwa is cooked in different ways. The basic way is to cook semolina with oil and add sugar to taste and top with nuts as per taste. In this post, I will be sharing Semolina Dessert Recipe with milk and I hope you will love this different recipe for Semolina Dessert.
You can also check my Semolina Cake recipe that is purely Middle Eastern dessert and my friends have taught me this recipe.
Ingredients Semolina Dessert Recipe:
· 1 cups Semolina flour (sift it to remove any lumps)
· 1-2 cup Sugar (depending on, how sweet you want it to be)
· ½ teaspoon Cinnamon powder.
· ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
· 3 cups of milk
· 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
· ½ cup Oil (I prefer using olive oil, you can use any, coconut oil will give nice aroma)
· 3 tablespoons shredded Coconut
· 2 tablespoons of Almonds
· 1 tablespoon raisins (soak for 5 minutes and then wash)
· Pinch of yellow food color (optional)
· Wooden spoon to stir
· Non-stick pan to cook
Directions Semolina Dessert Recipe:
1. To prepare Semolina Dessert Recipe, place a non-stick pot on medium high flame and heat up oil. Once the oil is warm add cardamom powder and let it cook for 4 seconds and add semolina flour in oil gradually stirring it.
2. Cook semolina for about 5-6 minutes, when the color will start changing to light golden brown add milk and cook for 20 minutes by stirring occasionally.
3. Carefully add milk into Semolina flour keep stirring continuously. Do not let any lumps appear. Be careful as the batter will splatter. Add food color as well.
4. You have to cook for half hour until all the milk will evaporate from semolina flour and the mixture will be almost double in volume. Add sugar and keep stirring and let the sugar melt and dissolve in the mixture.
5. Add raisins and coconut, almonds and stir to mix everything well. Once the oil will start coming out of the Semolina Dessert remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for 4-5 minutes.
6. Dish out and sprinkle more shredded coconut and almonds on top and serve with a hot drink.
If you mix little saffron with milk and then add in this semolina dessert then it will become rava kesari which is an Indian semolina sweet dessert.
You can add shredded carrots also in Semolina Dessert Recipe when you are roasting the semolina flour in oil.