In this post, I will share the Chicken Vindaloo Recipe that is actually very famous on Goa India. I have many Indian friends and come across these recipes with them at their place or in Indian restaurants. This is actually Portuguese recipe and was brought to India by colonists. Indian locals made some amendments and adjusted the taste. When I tried this Chicken Vindaloo recipe I was in love with it and thought to gave it a try.
Check some other chicken recipes here;
- Chicken Teriyaki
- Hot and Spicy Chicken
- Chicken Mugalgal
- Fajita Chicken
- Chicken Nihari with Potatoes
- Handi with Chicken
- Mongolian Chicken
- Szechuan Chicken Recipe
Ingredients Chicken Vindaloo Recipe:
- ½ kg skinless chicken (wash, rinse and chop into small pieces, you can use boneless breast or thighs pieces but I like with bones. In original Chicken Vindaloo recipe boneless thighs are normally used)
- 2 medium size potatoes ( cut into cubes)
- 1 large onion (chop it)
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes (chop them)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoon spice mix (Grind cumin seeds, coriander seeds, black seeds, black pepper seeds, 4 heads of cloves, fenugreek seeds, 1-inch stick cinnamon)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, if you do not have then add 1 tablespoon mustard yellow paste.
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken broth or hot water and any market available chicken stock cube ( if you do not have, only add hot water in curry)
- 1 cup tamarind water (add dried tamarind in water and remove seeds and discard them and use water)
- 1 lemon thinly sliced (to garnish, you can also drizzle some lemon juice to bring sour taste, optional))
- 2 green chilies ( to garnish, optional)
Directions Chicken Vindaloo Recipe:
- Take a large bowl and add chicken pieces to it. Top it with vinegar, salt, brown sugar, tamarind water and mustard paste. Mix with your hands and leave for 10 minutes to marinade. You can continue with rest of the recipe.
- Normally all the ingredients are added to the blender and a paste is prepared except potatoes. But my kids do not like the smell of onion if I blend it without cooking so I have to add a twist to the recipe.
- Now take a pan over a medium high flame and heat up oil. Add chopped onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger and sauté until the color of onions will change.
- Remove from the pan and transfer to plate and let it cool. Once cool add this in a blender and make a paste. Also add cloves, all spice powder, turmeric powder, mustard seeds (if using), paprika and blend again for a minute.
- Now pour the paste also add bay leaves into the same pan and cook by stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until the color will turn golden and oil will bubble up.
- Take the marinade chicken, remove it from the tamarind mixture( keep safe, as have to add in chicken again while cooking) and add to the paste, also add the potatoes; cook for about 10 minutes on low heat so the chicken can cook completely from inside.
- Now add the tamarind marinade and also add chicken broth, make the flame high and bring the broth to boil.
- When the chicken broth will start boiling lower the flame, cover the chicken and let it simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Keep stirring occasionally. It will take around 10 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are soft, and you can see traces of oil on top, open the lid and cook to burn the broth and thicken the paste. Once you get the desired thickness, turn off the flame; dish out your yummy Chicken Vindaloo. Season it with green chilies, lemon juice or fresh coriander leaves. Serve with boiled rice or plain bread.
Note: At times, I also fry chicken and potatoes as my kids love that way.