Black Eyed Pea Salad with Italian Dressing
All of us are aware of benefits of using lentils. They are a good source of protein for us. I always love to make this Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Italian Dressing. If you have tried Italian salad dressing you know how it brings a great taste in salads. Black Eyed Pea Salad with Italian Dressing is always mouth watering for my whole family. I also go with different combinations in this Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Italian Dressing like I add Green pepper, onion, finely chopped scallions, jalapeno peppers, parsley, and lettuce etc. also. At times I make green chutney and add in it to have a spicy touch. Picture down has yogurt dressing mixed with Italian dressing. The picture on top is having onions and no chilies, yogurt, and coriander.
Have a look at;
- Easy Fruit Salad
- Kidney beans salad
- Tabouli salad
- Russian salad
- Coleslaw salad
- Quick Quinoa salad
- Celery salad
- Chickpeas salad with lentils
If you want to go for some cooked black-eyed beans salad then;
Let me share here a very quick cooked black-eyed beans salad. Get some pre-sliced mushrooms and canned blacked eyed beans from the market. Drain and rinse the beans to reduce the salt content then add ¼ teaspoon soy sauce, 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, some seasoning and salt, and pepper to taste. Place a pot over medium heat and add above-listed ingredients in the pot and roast for few minutes. You’ll be amazed that the salad actually tastes like meat. This salad is so quick, cheap and easy. To add extra taste you can use some garlic powder and onion powder with few greens.
Ingredients Black Eyed Pea Salad with Italian Dressing
- 2 cups black-eyed peas (canned or you can soak peas overnight boil until tender and then drain the water)
- ½ cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 medium-sized cucumber roughly chopped (but the slices must be medium in size, not so big)
- ½ cup avocado chopped in small cubes
- 1 medium-sized tomato chopped (preferably De-seed them if you want to keep salad overnight)
- 2 tablespoon on finely chopped green chilies
- 3 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds (preferably dry roasted in a hot pan)
- 1 tablespoon on Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoon of fresh mint leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoon of yogurt (Greek yogurt can also be used)
- Salt to taste
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1 clove of garlic
- Black pepper to taste
Directions Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Italian Dressing
- In blender add yogurt, salt, black pepper, fresh mint leaves, garlic clove, ginger and blend until you have a smooth paste. If your blender is not working well to make the paste you can add little water or more yogurt. Set aside.
- Take a large bowl and add drained black-eyed peas. Add tomatoes, avocado, cucumber and mix everything well.
- Top it with lemon juice, hot sauce mix again.
- Add the dressing from the blender and Italian salad dressing and toss to coat everything with the dressing properly.
- Cover salad bowl with a lid or cling film and refrigerate until cool (check notes at the end of the recipe).
- Freshly finely chopped coriander should be added before eating, chopped green chilies and cumin seeds mix well and enjoy Black Eyed Pea Salad with Italian Dressing.
Notes Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Italian Dressing
- It is best to prepare Black-Eyed Beans Salad with Italian Dressing a night before so the peas will take the taste of all the ingredients and spices.
- You can deseed the tomatoes too as it may leave a lot of water.
- Tomatoes can also be added moments before eating if you do not like juicy texture.